Thursday, January 6, 2011

Once bitten, Twice Shy (Great White 1989)

Never a dull moment in Zoe's World.  Zoe goes out for her evening ritual after dinner and then sits on the deck checking out the scenery since it's finally above 30 degrees here.  I'm doing dishes and watching her through the window when all of a sudden I hear this screeching and see her dash across the deck and disappear.  I run out the door to deafening screeching and activity under the deck.  I'm screaming Zoe's name because at this point I believe that she's under the deck with some crazy wild cat.   Here comes Zoe as fast as her chubby little body can carry her out the side of the deck and up the steps and then I see the screaming creature hightailing it in the opposite direction.  It's a RACCOON!!

My mind is racing thinking of all the things that could happen to Zoe if this raccoon has bitten her.  I grab Zoe and put her in the kitchen to check her over and don't see any marks.  She's out of breath but looks just fine, thank goodness.

After a few minutes when everything has calmed down I notice she keeps turning around to try to see what is going on behind her; but she can't see because she's too chubby to turn her body in that direction.  Then I notice a red mark on her butt.  It appears that this wild animal has indeed grabbed Zoe in the behind; but fortunately did not bite into or tear her flesh.

Now it's time for my animal first aid training to kick in.  Clean towels (check), Provon antibacterial soap (check), neosporin ointment (check).  The wound is in a very precarious place, so I have to be very careful not too get the soap or ointment near/into part(s) of the body where it shouldn't be.  Zoe's such a good patient, she just stands there and lets me do my thing.

I called the vet and she told me that it's good that Zoe was already on the mega dose of antibiotics for her bladder infection and just to keep an eye on the wound to make sure there are no signs of infection which can rear it's ugly head within 3 days. 

Zoe is doing well both with the bladder infection and the raccoon bite so far; the medication  seems to be doing it's job and my first aid treatment twice a day appears to be working.

By the way, the Once Bitten, Twice Shy...Zoe's not sure about hanging out on the deck now; one paw out the door and a look around first to check to make sure the raccoon isn't lurking.

Here's Zoe relaxing and soaking up all the attention she can get after such trauma.




1 comment:

  1. We don't know who really won that battle do we? The raccoon could of been in bad shape after tangling with Zoe! ( hm, probably not!)
    Hope Zoe's butt and pride feel better!

    ReplyDelete