Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Starting Puppy School

It's off to puppy school (Puppy Train and Play) for Zoe and I beginning this week.  Today's class was humans only; except that one student brought her puppy for demonstration purposes.  A very cute Portuguese Water dog; the same breed that President Obama and family has.  It should be a great class as there are only 4 dogs enrolled so far and we also have two student's who will be assisting with the training.  Zoe already has homework :o(  that we need to have worked on for next week's class.  Teaching your puppy to pay attention to you by using a clicker and treats.  Teaching your dog to come when called - this is always the most difficult task for me and my dog; I never feel that I get 100% cooperation with this command...maybe the dog will come to me and then maybe not.  Teaching your dog to take a rest when you do - that's a good one.  Sit in a chair and each time your dog lies down no matter how long she/he gets a click and a treat.  And lastly teaching your puppy to walk on a leash without jumping, chewing on the leash, and pulling you every which way.  I am a huge fan of Cesar Millan, "The Dog Whisperer" and I constantly hear his voice saying "you must be calm and assertive".  OK, I'm workin' on it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment